Sunday, July 6, 2008

It's good to be the designer

Hey y'all!

I just wanted to pop in to share my newest creation with you, an adorable cotton sundress with a mod 1960's print and a ruffled skirt. The reason I wanted to share this particular item with you was to illustrate a point I'm always trying to make with people: it doesn't matter what size you are, if your clothes fit you well, you'll look good.

I, like 99.99999% of women in this world, do not fit "normal" proportions. I'm top heavy, for one thing, with a long torso and broad shoulders. In ill-fitting, one-style-fits-all, poorly executed design, I look like a walking watermelon vine that also happens be a professional football player. Were I to focus solely on what size I am, I'd probably never feel well dressed or attractive.



But there's light at the end of the tunnel: because I can sew (a habit which I picked back up in my adult years because no one made clothing that fit me) I can worry less about whether I fit my clothing, and more about whether my clothing fits me. I made this dress from one of my own patterns, resized it slightly to skim my particular shape, and it makes me look fabulous in photos, which I normally avoid like the plague.

I say this not to boast, but to illustrate a point: your clothing should be made to fit you, not the other way around. Be healthy, be happy, get up and move around because it's fun, but don't crash diet; especially not for something as silly as fashion. A truly stylish person dresses herself in things that fit, and doesn't sweat the number on the tag.

No comments: