Sunday, June 7, 2009

So excited about fall!




I know it's early, but you know we designers have to stay ahead of the curve when it comes to clothing, because Fall technically starts at the end of July for us. The upside to this is that I get to brainstorm all the things I want to make for the cooler months when we're still in the hot ones.

Anyone who knows me knows that while I'm all for temperatures above 72 degress when I'm sitting in a pool or a lake, I'm definitely NOT a hot weather gal. (I blame the German side of my heritage--great for streusel, not good for sunbathing!) So I daydream about the kinds of desperately chic layered looks I'll get to don when the mercury falls again.

I'm currently all about the animal prints again: leopard, cheetah, tiger, zebra, giraffe, snake, unicorn, what have you. And they don't have to be true to life, either. I'm loving some of the skin prints I've seen mixed up with shots of orange, blue, and purple.

Also, plaid is going to make a comeback, and in a BIG way. You've undoubtedly been seeing lots of buffalo plaid on the young hip things lately, and it's got me all inspired to make a ruffled minidress with a standup collar--kind of like a shirtdress, but without the horrible gapping that happens to us busty gals with traditional shirtdresses. I've even bought some green and black plaid taffeta for this very garment, and I'm waiting with bated breath for it to arrive.



I'm keeping with the pencil skirts and fitted sheath dresses I love so much on Mad Men, but updating the colours for fall: look for lots of teal, raspberry, purple, fuschia, kelly green, jade and charcoal grey come the turn of the season.

The last three things I've made have been clutch purses, so look for a few to make it into the line. Also, my love of scarves has been reawakened, with knit and chiffon and woven ones soon to be unveiled. The accessory item I've been using the most, though, is a super versatile black cinch belt. In fact, I love it so much I'll be selling it for summer, as well. It's perfect around dresses and longer tops.



And while I'm not as hot on the neon bandwagon as most seem to be (mainly because I went through it the first time and am still suffering from stress-induced seizures), I do think it's hella cute in smaller doses, so I'll be adding in neon-hued accessories from time to time.

Well, that's where I'm at! Hope this summer finds you happy, having fun, looking fabulous, and kicking ass; even if only metaphorically. :)

1 comment:

AH said...

I so wish I had your sense of style.
Loving the leopard blouse.